Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Homemaker Survival Skills Badge!

As the kids and I sorted through our garage full of yard sale items, it hit me again that our relatively stable life of the last 11 years in California is coming to a close.  The stack of black Contico crates piled in the corner reminded me of our three approaching adventures. 

Planning a two week trip to visit family in New Jersey has always been a welcome challenge, but now I'm planning a month long stay in Colorado, a year long stay in Costa Rica, and an even longer stay in Uruguay.  To start with a clean slate, we are purging the house of most of our things.  Storing them and then shipping them to Uruguay did not appeal to either one of us.  It has taken a few months for me to finally be ready to sell or give away furniture that has taken years to acquire.  Thankfully, Mark's parents are willing to rent the house, so we don't have to sell it yet. 

Making a home on the road, with whatever I find along the way, will be a test of my survival skills. 
I used to admire Eagle Scouts for their ability to rough it alone on a trail overnight.  But I'll be roughing it in three different countries with a husband, four kids, and whatever luggage the airlines will let us bring along.  They should make a badge for that!  ~Jeni

(Thanks, Jer, for all the tips.  Couch surfing with 6 people, however, may prove more difficult!  Check out my brother's blog, Jerjourneys.blogspot.com). 

No comments:

Post a Comment